rules of play
Rules for 2021 including safety protocols will be published on July 5th
- Rules Governing Play: USGA Rules will apply, along with FWJGA and local course rules. Rulings will be made by a Golf Professional or a Tournament Official. All rulings will be final.
- Division I – Championship-Third Flight: No Stroke Limit, Stroke & Distance applies on Out of Bounds and Lost Balls, MUST have current GHIN Handicap Index
- All other Divisions: Double Par Stroke Limit, Local Rule (E-5) Alternate to Stroke & Distance or Lost Ball, No handicap index required
- Golf Bags & Pull Carts: Each contestant must be able to carry his/her own bag of clubs, or be able to pull a golf cart, know how to keep score, and have a general knowledge of the rules. Not all courses have pull cart rentals. Parents/players should check with courses about availability of pull carts.
- Rangefinders: A player may obtain distance information by using a measuring device that measures “distance only”.
- The boys and girls championship is open for ages 8 to 18 who have not yet entered college. A participant cannot be or turn 19 or be playing on a collegiate team at the time of the tournament.
- There will be a College Division for players from 2020 who would be ineligible in 2021.
- The boys & girls tournament is open to players ages 8-18 who reside in one of the following counties serviced by First Tee of Fort Worth: Tarrant, Parker, Johnson, Hood and City of Fort Worth addresses that lie within Denton County.
- Players should register for their appropriate age group. Any player may play up in age division, but must play the same tees and by the same rules as outlined for that division.
- Player Check-In: Contestants are responsible for checking in at least 20 minutes prior to their scheduled tee time and should be at their starting hole at least 5 minutes prior to their tee time. There are no greens fees or entry fees. Players are responsible for their own food and drinks and must dress appropriately. Please check with the golf courses for dress code requirements. Most courses require collared shirts and bar cut-offs and some do not allow denim.
- Spectators: Parents, relatives and/or friends are not allowed to assist any contestant during play. This includes, but not limited to, giving advice or walking alongside the contestant during competition. A player may not have a caddie. Spectators must stay a reasonable distance from competitors.
- Disputes: Players should attempt to settle rules and scoring to the best of their ability. If there is a questions about a rule and a FWJGA Official or Golf Professional is not available, the players should play two balls, scoring each one, and get a ruling prior to signing their scorecard.
- Violation of Rules & Etiquette: Failure to abide by the rules of competition may result in the contestant being penalized or disqualified.
- Scorecards: Upon completion of play, players should move to the scoring area. Players are solely responsible for their hole by hole score. Once scores are checked and agreed upon, the scorecard MUST be signed by both the player and scorer.
parent information and Spectator Rules
Please read the information regarding advice to players.
- Advice and/or coaching are not allowed by parents, relatives or spectators during competition. This includes any conversation with the player that could influence his/her play, club selection or how to perform a stroke. If it's deemed by the FWJGA officials that this rule is not being followed, the player is subject to being penalized.
- Caddies are NOT allowed during the tournament.
- Renting a cart to follow players is at the discretion of the participating courses.
- Players are not permitted to ride on golf carts at any time. Spectators, whether walking or riding a cart, should stay on cart paths. In the absence of cart paths, spectators should stay in the rough to watch the players. Always keep enough distance from players to avoid the temptation of offering advice.
- Spectators can help search and locate golf balls.
- Parents/Spectators may provide drinks, ice, food, first-aid supplies, medicine, umbrellas, etc., for players. However, when supplying these, must avoid offering advice.
- Parents/Spectators are not allowed to give rulings or help keep score. Players should settle all rules and scoring disputes. If there is a question about a rule and a FWJGA official is not present, a player should play two balls, scoring each one, and have the question settled upon completion of play by a tournament official on golf professional on site.
- If a Parent/Spectator repeatedly violates the above rules, he/she may be asked to leave the course and wait in the clubhouse until the round is complete.
- All cell phones or similar devices should be turned off or on vibrate while following the players.